FREEBIES and what's going on:

FREEBIES: None right now!

Like Scholarberry on Facebook here!!


I changed my email! Please email me at: eliora.vespera@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Crunch Time by Mariah Fredericks

"Max grins. 'We should have numbers on our butts.' He turns to Daisy. 'Hi, I'm a two thousand. Nice to meet you.'
In a haughty accent she says, 'Sorry, I only date twenty-one hundreds and above....'"


My Rating: 10/10

Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers (Imprint of Simon and Schuster)
Publication: 2006
ISBN: 0-689-86938-X
Page count: 317 pages
Age range: Young Adult

To be honest, I've never cared for any standardized tests. Not the MCA, not the ACT, so obviously not the SAT. (Yes, I have not even taken the ACT, and I will pass them, it's just that I never get the whole reason why people freak about it.)

When I moved to US on August 2007, it was a bit weird (to me anyway). They (the school) insisted on me using Number 2 pencils, and I had to use the wooden pencils (I only use mechanical ones or pens back in Indonesia). So when I saw this cover, it grabbed my attention at once.

Daisy and Max are best friends--Daisy is poor and well (let's face it) her grades are just average. She plays basketball good, though. Max, on the other hand, is smart though geeky.

They both came for the SAT prep class, and found Leo Thayer and Jane Cotterell from the same school.

Leo Thayer is one of the BP--Beautiful People--and he knows it. Worse, he always hits on freshmen girls and well, break their hearts. In short, of course, a jerk. Jane Cotterell is the daughter of Julia Cotterell, the movie star. Right, Jane is also the rich kid with the popular mom without any friends. The SAT Prep guy didn't show up, so Daisy (not caring about the test at all), walks out. Inviting anyone who'd come with.

Then the four of them started their own SAT prep group in Jane's house.

But then they figured out that someone cheated. Someone cheated the SAT.
Was it Daisy, the poor girl who needed the scholarship?
Leo, who wants the perfect score?
Max, who needs his father off his back?
Or Jane, so she doesn't ruin her mom's reputation?

What I love about the book: The characters--Mariah Fredericks showed us all 4 characters' minds, and each of them was great. It was funny--hilarious, actually--and smart. :D

What I dislike about the book: I didn't dislike anything! (I wonder why I haven't found any book that I have anything to point out that I dislike...?) This is one of my favorites!!!

Mariah Fredericks' Official Crunch Time page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...