FREEBIES and what's going on:

FREEBIES: None right now!

Like Scholarberry on Facebook here!!


I changed my email! Please email me at: eliora.vespera@gmail.com

Thursday, August 5, 2010

AS: Kimberly Derting's The Body Finder

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting is definitely one of my top favorite books (Yes, it's that good). It's just simply gorgeous and vividly written--definitely a good book worth rereading from time to time. If you missed my review of The Body Finder, click here to read it.



1. (The usual--probably cliche, by now to you) Where did the inspiration of The Body Finder come from?

This is my husband’s favorite question! The original idea actually came from him, when we were driving one day and he said: “What if there was a kid who could find dead bodies?” Of course, in his head it was a middle-school-boy adventure book. But I loved the basic idea…as long as it was a girl in high school and she had a love interest. It took some time to hammer out the rules of her creepy ability (how she would find the dead bodies), but once I did, I was obsessed with getting her story on paper. To this day though, my husband will walk around the house declaring himself my co-author!

2. This is one of the things that intrigued me the most about the book: the part where you wrote about the killer's perspective. It sounded so real--the more I think about it, it's the more like you've studied a real criminal (whereas I mostly watch CSI/similar shows). How difficult was it for you to write the criminal's perspective? Did you do a long research on it?

My first draft only had a few sections from the serial killer’s perspective, mostly because I thought it might be a little too dark and twisted for YA. So when my editor came back and asked for more, I was completely thrilled…I loved writing those scenes (which makes me sounded a little too dark and twisted, doesn’t it?)!!!

3. What was the most difficult part in The Body Finder to write?

I’m not sure I can point at anything and say it was difficult to write. Is it terrible to admit that it was an easy book to write…mostly because I was more than a little obsessed while I was writing it? I fell in love with both the characters and the story, so spending time with them each day was a breeze.

4. I truly love your writing style in The Body Finder. It was just making me so curious; Did you always write like that, or did you especially write it in a way that most people never did (with the 3rd perspective and how the suspense was kept)?

When I wrote The Body Finder, I’d always written in 3rd person. Since then I’ve worked on a project in 1st person and loved the way it turned out. I like mixing POVs, and I think there’s room for a little bit of everything in fiction. I mean, really, how boring would it be if every book were exactly the same???



It was surreal seeing it on shelves for the first time. I thought I was prepared for that moment since I’d already seen a finished copy (I’d held it in my hands, flipped the pages, and I may or may not have smelled it!). But walking into the bookstore for the first time and seeing it there…faceout on real life bookshelves?!?! I’m pretty sure I screamed, or at least squealed. Thankfully no one was standing in my way or I probably would have pushed them down to get to it!

7. Did you always want to be a writer? (If not, ever since when and how did you know you want to become one and what obstacle did you have overcome?)

I started seriously writing right after high school (many, many years ago!). My first attempt at writing a novel (using that word loosely) was a full-on adult horror novel called ONE OF THEM, because I wanted to write like Stephen King (ha!). Fortunately, it was never published but it did make for really good practice. Only when I finally gave up on that manuscript did I discover (and fall in love with) YA!

8. My favorite list of books includes Shiver, Linger (by Maggie Stiefvater), The Hunger Games series (by Suzanne Collins) and The Body Finder (by you, who are so generous by taking your sweet time to answer these questions). What is/are your favorite book(s)/series?

GAH! This is such a difficult question because there are SO many!!! Some of my recent favorite reads have been Paranormalcy by Kiersten White, Firelight by Sophie Jordan, Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, and anything in the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr. But my all-time favorite will always be To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (I re-read it every few years)!

9. Some authors can write with music (with lyrics). When you wrote The Body Finder, did you have a certain playlist that you listen to? If not, are there certain songs that you think would fit some scenes in The Body Finder?

I can’t write with music for some reason, and I’m amazed that anyone can. If I like a song I find myself listening to that instead of paying attention to my work. But whenever I hear something slow and melodic by Evanescence, it makes me think of The Body Finder…they just have that haunting sound. And when it comes to the scenes from the serial killer’s POV, I always think of Possum Kingdom by The Toadies (it’s old, but super creepy…especially if you watch the video!).

10. What would be your advice to some of the young writers that hasn't make it yet to the bookstore shelves?

Hang in there! Seriously, I don’t know many writers—or any really—that haven’t faced rejection in some form (and most of us have stacks of rejection letters to prove it). I think that most published writers are published because they never gave up!!!

11. What would be your reaction if The Body Finder is adapted to a movie?

[INSERT HYSTERICAL SCREAMING HERE]



Really, I’m sure you’d hear me from wherever you live!


12. Thank you very much for the copy of The Body Finder and this interview. Is there anything else you'd like to say to the readers?

Just thanks so much for having me here today, and I hope you all enjoy The Body Finder!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...